Friday, November 28, 2008

Review: RockPianoman Pienaar @ Bella Vida Velvet Jazz Lounge

Written by Enniv Zarf
Metaverse Music
Second Life Live Music

Alright, continuing on my day of lots of reviews, I ended up at RockPianoman Pienaar's concert. Now I have seen his posts occasionally and have wanted to check out his playing sometimes since there's piano in his name.

Well finally I got the chance to check it out and well, if he was just playing the piano, I wouldn't mind, but his singing is average at best. Now unlike most other singers who are off pitch, well at least RockPianoman is not out of tune. That's at least a good sign so it's listenable. He is someone I could listen to and not have to kill myself and let my ears bleed like so many others.

RockPianoman played a huge range of songs from the 60's to the 80's and took requests from people on his big list of requests. His list is really really long, and that's probably the best aspect of RockPianoman. If you are looking for someone who can really play a whole range of music, he would be the guy.

Of course I did mention his singing isn't all that great to begin with. He would be someone you would probably find in your local jazz lounge playing some songs in the background, but nothing fancy. His voice is average and his singing is just more on par with a descent karaoke singer. But what does make up for it all is that he is a pretty descent piano player. His styling of the songs are all pretty good and very well played despite having a gigantic list to work from.

That is probably why his singing isn't up to par, it's mostly probably because he is singing so many songs and singing is really just not his best thing. But his control of all the sounds on his setup with all his synths are descent and shows that he really knows his instrument.

RockPianoman is in fact a descent guy to have around and I would say if you want someone to entertain you with a wide selection of songs from this era in this style, he would be a descent choice. I do think Rock could use a little more vocal coaching to just tweak his voice and create a more unique sound and just solidify things a tad bit.

Now a little about the venue Bella Vida, it's a pretty interesting place, but the poseballs are a tad bit strange. But if you looked hard enough, you may find something that's romantic and could work for you and your date!

No comments:

Post a Comment