From the Editor's DeskWritten by Enniv Zarf (RL: Paul Kwo)
Metaverse Music
I have been talking to a few people about what I'm doing here with Metaverse Music and the idea about reviewing people, the implications and the potential fallout. So I figure I'd better write it all down here.
First I think the most important thing I have to say is that I do not wish anyone to stop playing music or to stop singing. I am not a Simon Cowell who tells the truth in a mean and hurtful manner, at least I try my best to not do that. But I also realize that sometimes the truth hurts. I know cause I've been hurt before with the truth. But that's the nature of life. Truth hurts. But someone's gotta tell it. But just because I told you the truth of what I heard, doesn't mean I want you to stop. I am just pointing out a problem that I saw. Address it accordingly.
Sometimes I may point out a technical issue with either the actual musical performance while sometimes it's about the instrument or mic or other things that's involved. I say them both for the audience to know what to expect before going to those performances if they so choose to as well as giving the artist honest feedback. I just see way too many people just telling an artist what he or she wants to hear which doesn't help them become better necessarily even though it seems encouraging. I believe in constructive criticism and that is really my goal of doing any of this.
But beyond that...
...I also point out subjective things too, things that I would prefer. Those are purely about choices. Those are comments to let people know what I would prefer and do, but it doesn't necessarily mean my choice is better or worse. A choice is a choice, and I'm only pointing out an alternative to take into consideration. But sure I don't expect them to be tried out or carried out in the next concert I see the artist in. But I always like to hear other choices cause it gets me thinking for my own music. I may not go with that choice but something else may be born from that.
The real problem though with all of this is how do we be supportive and encouraging while being honest. How do we balance that with reaching new audience who are new to Second Life and Second Life music scene and let them know what we are all about.
My biggest concern is that there are a lot of people who either gets dragged to a concert by a friend to this supposedly great musician that they were told about. The friend probably doesn't know all that much about music to begin with and the idea of listening to live music in Second Life was so intriguing that anyone performing here would put them at awe. But their other friend whom they dragged along is supposedly an avid music fan who knows what good music is. They end up at this mediocre musician who really is just an amateur hobbyist in real life but decided to package themselves as a professional in Second Life who then joins every Live Music group in town and posts notices every other day about their performances. Then a lot of people who are new to Second Life live music scene ends up at these types of concerts half the time. So now we have a bunch of people thinking Second Life live music sucks and no one can play or sing here because the great musicians are buried by the massive amount of "music enthusiasts."
I have absolutely no problem with people who are not professional singing and playing music. I think that's a great thing and everyone should be encouraged to do that. But it's one thing to play privately for a group of friends and another thing to be posting massive amounts of notices and advertising yourself like a professional who's on tour around Second Life and turning people away from live music from Second Life. This is where I have problems.
So this is how I have been treating the scene and dealing with this. I have said before that I pick artists from the public music groups of Second Life. To me when you advertise at those places you are putting yourself in the public eyes. If you are ready to do that, then you better be prepared to be judged publicly. You don't get to promote yourself as an awesome or great musician with a great sound or voice to attract people to your concert, hoping they will make you and your venue some donations and other business without being judged as a professional. Because you are doing professional work. If you only want to be an amateur musician, that's wonderful. Play for your friends and family and people who love you. And if you really must put notices at these groups, please let everyone know you are not that great but just want to share music with people. Then those who wants to support this kind of endeavor will come to you.
But somehow I am guessing those artists wouldn't do that cause then people won't come if they saw those notices. Well what do you know, it's not me who's the culprit here! Cause if they really believe that the public audience wants to hear performers who aren't good but will come and support them just for the sake of live music, then why would they not advertise it as such? I am not the one who's being judgmental or want to ruin anyone. I am not here to do damage to anyone. I am merely pointing out the big giant pink elephant that's hanging over our heads. These performers are the one's who are damaging the reputation of Second Life Live Music scene.
I do do support the growth of musician as we have all been there and we are all still growing. But we have to have standards if we as a whole as a Second Life Live Music community wants to be taken seriously by those outside of Second Life. We have to say to ourselves that we have to be better, and be just as good and if not a whole lot better then those who are doing this at other places. The thing is it's easy and cheap for anyone to perform publicly in Second Life so everyone here is a performer and everyone here is a venue owner. But if you were a real life venue owner who have staked tens of thousands of dollars on your venue, what kind of musicians are you going to house there?
Second Life gives us an opportunity unlike real life because it is cheaper. And because it's cheaper we can take more risks. But shouldn't we risk then on alternative musicians then on less qualified and less talented musicians? The problem with real life is because venues are so expensive and promotion is so expensive that housing certain genre of musician is not feasible because you have to pay your bills. So why don't we instead house more alternative gigs by great musicians and push them to the public then house amateur singers who are still learning and selling them off as the next big thing only because they are singers and they automatically draw a bigger crowd even though a more deserving musician who plays music that isn't mainstream is standing right next door wondering why he doesn't have an audience.
So before saying I'm wrong because I am turning people away from supporting and encouraging these amateur musicians to continue, I want you to think about the professional musicians who are struggling to get an audience because they are not mainstream but their music are amazing. Because they are a high risk act so no real life venue wants them. And if even in Second Life we are not helping these amazing musicians and giving them this second chance opportunity, are they now going to have to wait for their third life?
To me that is what I am really doing here in Second Life. I want to help musicians from all genres get the real chance they deserve in reaching an audience. I want people to learn and understand that music is wide and far and global. There are all sorts of amazing sounds from all around the world at our finger tips in Second Life. We can teleport and transport ourselves in sound worlds that otherwise can be near impossible to access in real life. To me the Live Music and live performance scene is by far the most powerful scenes in Second Life and is ultimately going to be the dominating part of Second Life when we think about it, just like how we think about Myspace with Myspace Music. Second Life is really taking that to the next level. If Mysapce Music can do so well I have no doubt that Second Life Live Music will turn in one of those any indie musician will want to have a presence in.
So yes, please everyone keep playing and singing and making music. But leave the performing in public for the professionals and perform in private for your friends and loved ones to share your love and joy of music. Really reflect on your audience and who are really staying for your concert and you'll realize that they are mostly your friends and family anyways. Most others are just there for that one time and never to return to your performance and perhaps even any other performances at all in Second Life. Do you really want to end up being the one too turn people away from Second Life Live Music just so you can have the gratification of having shared your music? You don't need to put yourself out in the public face and be reviewed by me or others who will come. Share your music with those who will love you even though they all know you aren't great because they are your friends and family. But let them be honest about that and not have to talk about you in IM's anymore. I think everyone will feel much better if they can just be honest but still support your growth.
You draw a parallel between myspace music and SL music in this article but you fail to highlight what is the main difference between the two; originality. How many acts do you see on Myspace with only a set of covers in their player? In all your reviews you also place very little emphasis on originality and judge completely disparate acts alongside each other using the same measures even though it's like comparing chalk and cheese. I'll spell out for you what you have missed. Myspace is predominantly original music. SL features predominantly covers. I have been to literally hundreds of live music shows spread over the last 2 1/2 years in SL and incidently have also studied music and it's history. It never ceases to amaze me that we have a virtual environment steeped in originality and creativity that is celebrated in SL in almost every form until it comes to music. Original music is sidelined in SL and instead the audience worships at the altar of tired worn out old covers we have heard time and time again. If you are lucky the act does the song justice but mostly they do not. You mention that you hope some acts can break out of SL and get RL careers but do you honestly think that is going to happen for an act that plays mostly covers? Once you remove originality from the equation then judging the act comes down to their proficiency and that extra little je ne sais quoi that is so undefinable. In SL those things are enough to have a good in world career. This is mostly due to the fact that many SL residents are only in SL to party. Partying means hearing songs they know. Once you get a covers act outside of SL they are lost in an ocean of 100 million other folks who play and sing pretty well. The only thing they can realistically aspire to is playing in bars.
ReplyDeleteOf course the odds for an original act are not much better but this is where you so comprehensibly miss the mark. By failing to champion originality in SL you support this situation and completely undermine everything you think you are achieving. I do not think having someone forthrightly review acts in SL is a bad thing but I just think you have ploughed into it without thinking it through.
So I encourage you to continue but I urge you to consider the situation of originality far more in your reviews. In my opinion the worst originals acts are preferable to the best covers acts every time (ok that is the most sweeping statement I have made here...I have heard some awful original acts too lol).
You are also operating in a bubble here. In order to see your efforts appreciated by the wider music scene and to get some healthy debate I urge you to start a thread on the Second Life Music Community Forum a link to which I have pasted below. Everytime you review an act here on your website post a link to the review on the forum. I guarantee you'll get a lot more readers which is probably better for you and better for the music scene.
Here is the link to the forum. Don't hide here...use the forum!
http://slmc.myfastforum.org/
Trigger, you may want to read all of my other blogs too. I was merely pointing out some of the stuff here. Can't imagine talking about everything in one blog post. I have a lot to say.
ReplyDeleteI do think original music is important and I do agree with you that's the only way to really get anywhere. It's not easy, no matter what. I have mentioned in some of my reviews that if a singer doesn't have any original music, then they must be darn good or else why am I listening to it.
I am all about original music if you have ever attended any of my concerts. I improvise every concert pretty much all the way through. It's new every time.
I absolutely agree and I am going to get more and more into the reviewing of original music, but not in the setting of a live music concert. Mainly because the live music reviews are for the live acts and how they are doing. But I think I am going to start looking at recordings by SL Artists and review them like that on original music. It's a tad bit difficult to review original songs in a live setting for 2 reasons. 1, there's so little information while they sing their originals about the song that sometimes I miss them, or that I just can't really talk about them properly. 2, I don't want to judge a new song by how they performed it live. I rather judge it by a recording too.
But you are right, I believe in original music and I probably didn't make the post clear. I know how hard it is to be established as an original artist. Trust me I know. I am not original doing all original music, but pretty much am creating a genre of my own. I work extremely hard to reach people. I know people are in SL to party most of the time. But I also know that there is a huge market potential here if we continue to push that. I am going to head more and more towards original music here, believe me. That is where I'm going. But I have to start somewhere, and that's to survey the entire SL Live Music scene first this first round, and then on my next round I will definitely hone into the new music scene in SL.
And I will check the forum out. But don't think I'm hiding here. The last thing I want to do is hide. I will take on anyone or anything. I want that, I want people to tell me what they think. But just keep in mind there is only one of me and I can only do so much and only have so much time. But I am bringing in more people soon here too.
But I do very much appreciate your comment and thought and care enough to let me know.
Thanks for for a well constructed answer to my viewpoint Enniv. I am really pleased to see you take my thoughts on board and that you took the time to explain your extra reasoning here.
ReplyDeleteI have much respect for your take on this. Good luck!
BTW, I added a little block on the side to link to the SLMC. I will have to figure out where to post the reviews over there. Too many things to do, so little time. I'm actually also starting a podcast of all my original new music too right now...sleepy time...
ReplyDeleteAnd once again a huge lack of respect my friend.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all Simon Cowell doesnt know anything about music,
he knows how to work the system but that is something different
"But I also realize that sometimes the truth hurts"
witch truth ?
you claim here to hold the truth ?
A sentence like that sounds very arrogant.
In Music noone holds the truth.
"But just because I told you the truth of what I heard,
doesn't mean I want you to stop"
Ahhhh, here we change a bit.
By you don't tell the truth, you state your opinion.
And as far as i know, opinion is subjective, truth suppose to be objective
and in music there are no objective vieuws.
"I also point out subjective things too...............................
but it doesn't necessarily mean my choice is better or worse"
You got a point there, but the way you write it, the way you choose your
words make it sound this way, and once again there are no objective vieuws
regarding music.
"The friend probably doesn't know all that much about music to begin with
and the idea of listening to live music in Second Life was so intriguing
that anyone performing here would put them at awe"
Wauw, you got some nerve dude.
Is it important that someone doesnt know the technical details ?
is it important to know about intonation ? about chords ?
the harmonics ? about in what key a song is or that the rhythm changes etc.
Course not, it might be for you, but the person you talk about is an adult,
not some kid that need to be tolled what to do ?
He or she goes to a gig and likes what he/she hears, if not then they hop
to the next one, music is simple my friend.
"But their other friend whom they dragged along is supposedly an avid music fan
who knows what good music is. They end up at this mediocre musician
who really is just an amateur hobbyist in real life but decided
to package themselves as a professional in Second Life"
And it is your goal to raise your finger and warn us, experienced music lovers,
who happen to know a few things about music ?
What's next ?
a board next to the artist : Warning This Music is not Improved
People can decide for theirself you know.
If i get at a gig and i don't like it then i tell this to my friends in IM
and hop on to the next one.
"So now we have a bunch of people thinking Second Life live music sucks
and no one can play or sing here because the great musicians are buried
by the massive amount of "music enthusiasts."
Wauw, so youre saying that people are not that clever ?
They see one gig witch could be bad and decide to run away crying their
eyes out and never come back ?
"If you are ready to do that, then you better be prepared to be judged publicly"
No problem with this, but it is the arrogant tone what bugs me,
not even to the musicians, musicians are used to being liked or not.
What bugs me is that you make the fans and veneus look bad.
You almost would feel ashame if you like an artist, or if you book one
that hasnt got your approval.
"But we have to have standards if we as a whole as a Second Life Live
Music community wants to be taken seriously by those outside of Second Life"
And you set the standards for us ?
I believe that the standard is being set by the SLMC itself.
If you like an artist, whatever your reason might be, then visit it
If you want to book an artist because you like it or because it attracts a crowd
then please do, the SLMC filters itself.
If 50 persons are visiting an artist that sings offkey, only knows one note
and forgets his lyrics witch only has 2 words, and if every venue wants him
then the SLMC has decided.
"But if you were a real life venue owner
who have staked tens of thousands of dollars on your venue,
what kind of musicians are you going to house there?"
SL is not RL, you can't compare those two worlds.
i wonder why venue's booked Britney ?
the music sucks, she can't sing, she is not that pretty ?
Hmmm could it be because they don't care and earn money on her
because the place is packed with fans who payed a ticket ?
A bad example because you mean the small venues,
but still its the same, you hire a band and want your RL place to be filled.
If your RL audience wants a crapy singer and are willing to pay a ticket,
then you book em, buisness is buisness.
"even though a more deserving musician who plays music that isn't mainstream
is standing right next door wondering why he doesn't have an audience."
"I want you to think about the professional musicians who are struggling
to get an audience because they are not mainstream but their music are amazing.
Because they are a high risk act so no real life venue wants them"
Again we are at the start of this conversation,
Who decides this ?
Personally i think Mozart is overrated, i don't think his music is that superb.
And i think they should kick out those symphonic orchestras, they take the
stage away from other great musicians who don't play tunes of dead people.
( trying to make a point here, i love classical music as a matter of fact )
"I want people to learn and understand that music is wide and far and global"
"There are all sorts of amazing sounds from all around the world at our finger tips in Second Life"
"So yes, please everyone keep playing and singing and making music"
I totally agree with you on these points.
But the audience can decide for theirselfs,
If a superb musician only has 5 visitors then we need to promote them.
Spam those groups, drag your friends in whatever it takes
Then it is up to the audience to decide if they like what they hear.
Revieuwing with an arrogance and ignorant tone is sure not going to help.
My 2 cents.
Homeless Martian