
Second Life Live Music Review
Written by Enniv Zarf (RL: Paul Kwo)
Metaverse Music
Jaggpro McCann
Dolphin's Dream
4 stars out of 5 stars
I was at a different venue right before tping in. I wanted to review that one but ended up leaving because it was totally not ready. And it also gave teleport passes so far away from the actual location confusing everyone who's going. And when I get there instead giving me another LM I get a hud to dig through along with a ton of other things to dig through as if my inventory isn't already a shamble. I just wanted to tp in and enjoy a concert. But I finally find the location and they weren't ready. If you are not ready, don't send out the IM. It's ok to send out the notice ahead of time because you didn't know. But when I get an IM saying now, I expect now, not ten minutes later. Well that's my rant for the day.
So I end up at Jaggpro McCann already with a rocky start for the day ready to just review my heart out. Well to my pleasant surprise, Jaggpro is pretty darn good. Jaggpro or just Jagg stands for just a good guy, and he's a pretty darn good guy on the stage. He's a real live musician named Rob Fisher who is a singer and songwriter who also plays a pretty mean guitar. He plays a mix of acoustic rock, folk and blues as a part of his usual set streaming from Australia.
He does cover in his live performance as with most artists but he's got a solid voice for that so it's alright. I was trying to locate some of his originals online a this myspace and other websites, though I found a demo set I couldn't get it to work. I will just have to wait for him to sing an original here live before getting some thoughts on that, hopefully.
Jaggpro has definitely an older voice...
and the aged quality really helps bring out the feeling of folksiness and blueness of the his music. Even though he's in Australia, and his slight accent slightly seeps through even when he sings, it is still rather charming to listen to. Though I do think for my own personal taste, it's a little too rockish at times the way he sings some songs that doesn't reallyl need that much rock I think. I felt this mostly because he has a good folks voice naturally from hearing him talk and sing some of the lighter sections. I just felt he is slightly, very slightly for my taste, a little too rock and roll at times.
But no matter, he's still a fantastic singer and adds to the Second Life Music scene and is someone that can be enjoyed for good singer and music. I really would like to hear his originals though. I always get lost with what's an original when they set so many covers. And it is here I want to say to all artists, hype up your originals when you do sing them in your cover set. Get people to fall for your originals. Cause chances are they are not going to fall in love with your rendition of U2 or John Meyer or Pink Floyd. So when you do play an original, make sure your audience knows exactly that it's an original of yours. Keep playing it and get them to love it. Marketing 101, put it in front of your customer as many times as possible! You know what, I'm going to write up an article about this here right after this review!
Well Jaggpro does really do his set very well, covering a good variety of songs. But still I am definitely going more and more into the original music mode. I was actually talking to another musician while at the concert about this too. To me it should be about original music first, new music first. That's how art lives, it's through creation. So bring out those new works and let everyone know. Then cover songs on the occasion because you really love those songs and want to share them, not because doing those will automatically draw a bigger crowd. So Jaggpro, show us what your original music is and what you are all about. Because if you don't, I will say you have a good voice, but not good enough for me to be in awe without original music to back you up.
Remember when you teacher said to you (well if you've ever had a lesson) that you need to just trust your abilities and just play. Well the same goes for original music. Trust that they will speak to your audience. You will find yours. I am finding my audience for my original music and they love me for what I do. I know I can automatically draw a much bigger crowd whenever I play classic repertoire on the piano or start singing cover tunes all the time. But what's the real point of that? All that eventually amounts to is just basically a fun karaoke session with some friends. I don't have an American Idol singing voice, but I can sing well. I know what my strengths and weaknesses are, do you? Trust yourself, trust your music and play!
I agree to your last paragraph to a degree. Yes, you should trust in yourself and sing your own songs. But you should also judge your audience - they are there to hear the music they enjoy. Jagg has done whole shows with just his own songs, when the audience wants to hear them. Usually he does two or three of his own songs mixed in with the cover music. If the audience needs to wake up he likes to rock, and sometimes he does more folksy, bluesy songs. His concerts vary greatly - his fans love him for it.
ReplyDelete:o) Thanks for the article - and hope to see you at another one of his concerts! Or maybe at one of yours!