Saturday, December 6, 2008

Live Music Review: Jackdog Snook @ The Warehouse


Second Life Live Music Review
Written by Enniv Zarf (RL: Paul Kwo)
Metaverse Music
Jackdog Snook
The Warehouse

Imagine this, I'm up at 3am in the morning reviewing music. I have got to be obsessed with this right?

I was really just chatting with a friend and was about to log off for the night when I got this post from the Live Music Lovers group for this Australian singer. Now here I'm thinking I will eventually have to start doing some reviews of these artists from across the globe. So why not today.

And all I can say is if every artists that plays at 3am in the morning on Second Life time, then by gosh, this is the time to be on Second Life to listen to music.

Jackdog was the president of the Australian Songwriters association, and he no doubt sounds like a great singer/songwriter. He's got a powerful voice and a unique sound that really draws a good crowd. Though of course being one of the only performer performing at this hour also makes it easier to draw a bigger crowd.

Nevertheless it's fantastic to hear Jackdog sing...

...both original tunes and cover songs. On the cover songs, Jackdog gives his own style into the music that makes it all his own.

At one point he was singing "The first cut is the deepest" and he did make it his own performance of the song. All in all he's pretty solid in his performance. His guitar playing was great and his voice was very strong tonight.

I do have a little bit of an issue with his microphone. I don't think it's a Second Life issue, but who knows. Whatever it is it cut out a big chunk of higher and lower frequencies causing his voice to sound. I'm pretty sure he knows that but if he doesn't well here it is. It something easily fixable and I'm sure it'll be fine the next time around.

But it's a very minor thing really, nothing that distracted significantly from the performance. And for some, it may even be considered a "sound." Why not right? I mean as long as you like it it's great for you. But I just like to point things out cause well, that is what I do. I love to point things out. I will also point out that he's got a great speaking voice too, and he does a great job communicating to the audience. I would say go check him out for sure especially given the time zone he performs in, there isn't much around. But still even if there is a lot around I would still say Jackdog is worth checking out and have a listen to.

During the concert I got caught up talking to a good friend of mine Mariposa Upshaw about reviewing Second Life Music and the perspectives that she has versus mine are different. It was a very intriguing conversation as I think we do have different objective. In the end she offered to write an article of hers on the subject matter and even possibly review music too from her side of the equation. I am definitely looking forward to that. I can't wait to hear what she has to say about the artists that I am reviewing. And a different point of view is exactly what I am looking for here at Metaverse Music. So share yours with me in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I thought Enniv's reviewing style was entertaining and informative....3 stars

    Jackdog Snook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment made me laugh and is very funny! 4 stars!!!

    Enniv

    ReplyDelete
  3. sure enniv, i'll be glad to give you the "street rat" perspective on things.. that being from someone who loves and appreciates all music from big ticket concerts to local pubs..having spent at least five years playing the L.A. club circuit back in the day, i can appreciate singers and players who give it all they got from the heart but who may not be the most technically proficient. And btw, thats me and my beloved fender jazz bass in my 1st life/profile :)
    oh and as to jackdog? he's brilliant..if you've ever heard him sing his own song "wonder"you'll hear what i mean.

    ReplyDelete