Monday, December 1, 2008

Music Review: Thumper Boucher @ Golden Horn

Second Life Live Music Review
Written by Enniv Zarf
Metaverse Music
Thumper Boucher
Golden Horn SLURL

Here's a straight forward musician who sings and plays. Finally right? Something normal from me? Of course, I do review your good old fashion singer/guitar player.

Well I arrived about 20 minutes into the concert because my brother had to renew the IP. Annoyingly it messed up and took longer then the really short time he promised. So that means I either will have to write up this post in 20 mins or that I just take my time here. I don't know yet, I'm listening to the music here and I'm a bit mixed.

On the group notice it read that Thumper is a performer in RL and SL and has over 400 concerts under his belt. Well I did just check his profile and found out that he was a bass player for a lot of funk bands and such. Which actually is great, cause his playing is fantastic. The accompaniment and all that is just fantastic and just absolutely well made and well put together from his keyboard robot, that's what he called it! But he's not a singer and I just almost wish he get another singer to sing with him playing cause his playing is really good! Better yet, just play the music and let the music speak, why sing at all? Well Thumper isn't a bad singer, I think he just hasn't worked on all his song 100% like the way he worked his instrumental tracks. More on this later in the post.

So here we are again, another instrumentalist who is singing in Second Life. I really think I'm beginning to see a pattern. I think it has to do with the fact that people feel like only singing will draw a crowd and that their music. But after seeing the crowds at all the concerts and at mine and others, it's really not that big of a difference. A good instrumentalist will draw about the same amount of people as a mediocre singer. Only the really good singers really draw a bigger crowd then others. But it also has a lot also to do with the venue and what kind of a following is there too. But still on average it's all about the same as long as you are a good instrumentalist, people will vouch for you.

Thumper's music, and I mean the instrumental side is great. But his voice is really just annoying the heck out of me. It's not out of tune or anything, but it's just not anywhere near where his playing is at all. Here I hear a great professionally put together instrumentals and this at best mediocre singing over it. His voice is a bit whiny and it's almost ruining the funk music experience.

I would love to hear a concert by Thumper that is without him singing, just his funk music exploding. I think he's got some really fantastic rhythm and beats and just some awesome groove to his music. I like it and I am not usually big on funk. And maybe sing every 3 or so songs. Cause I do think if Thumper has less to sing he'd sing them better. Because there are moments in some songs that are actually descent. It almost like one of those things where you are really to do that little thing with you voice so you do that a lot so it sounds good. But the other stuff that isn't all that interesting you neglect to work on it and make that sound just as good.

I would say if you do like funk music and can get over the fact that half of what Thumper sings are a bit off and whiney, but the other half is descent to good, but with very strong accompaniment, then Thumper would be the guy for you. I guess I may revisit him in a little bit and see if his voice has gotten any better. Fingers crossed and I'm out...

No comments:

Post a Comment