Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Second Look Music Review: Thumper Boucher @ Red Rock


Second Life Live Music Review
Written by Enniv Zarf
Metaverse Music
Thumper Boucher
Red Rock
Original Thumper Boucher Review

This is the first second look I have been invited back to by a musician whom I didn't give the most positive review at first. So here goes...

The first time I reviewed Thumper was at Golden Horn where he was performing his funk style music. My thought was his music was good, very good, but his singing was not.

Thumper sent me his notecard telling me what happened that day, where he pretty much was having the worst day ever and I happened to stumble upon that. So Of course I am going to give him a second hearing. Now admittedly he did tell me that his singing isn't his strong suit to begin with, he's no singer. And so when he was having a bad day, his singing was the first thing to go completely berserk.

He also mentioned that he does a lot of visuals for his concert that was not at the other concert since he was having major real life technical issues.

So I teleported into his concert at Red Rock at 6pmSLT. I couldn't make his other concert time. Just as he said this concert had a lot of visuals that went along with his music. He also sang less too and played more. So this time it is definitely different then the first one and it's definitely much more enjoyable then the first despite the minor imperfection of his voice.

I won't spend the whole time talking about his singing cause there's really a lot more to Thumper then that so I'll just get it out of the way. His singing is definitely stronger then the other day, but there are still some minor intonation issues. This is especially apparent in his lower register where at times is a bit shaky. Though I have to say when he sings all the higher stuff, he's much more on and sounds pretty good when he is. I don't think Thumper is a bad singer, I just think he spends all his time with his instruments and mixing everything else he just hasn't fully 100% polished his voice. Thumper knows he's not a singer and this time it's much more minor and small enough that I can look the other way and enjoy the rest of the concert and everything else that's there, and there was a lot of things there. That's except for his piano/vocal rendition of Seal's "Kiss from a Rose." Well a lot of his bad singing has to do with when he's trying sing those soft stuff with that airy voice. He just doesn't have that in his voice. It only works when he sings solidly without trying to do all that falsetto and airy sound. It just comes off...well I'll just say...wrong. But when he screams and yells and sing with power, he's great! Breath support people, breath support!

Thumper's concerts are a complete experience with both original sounds and visual effects for every song. There are a good amount of variations that goes with his beats and funky harmonies that makes it work well enough to forget the minor vocal issues he has. Today he sounds definitely even better on all his other instruments. It totally is a different performance and one where I felt he was relaxed and comfortable and enjoying the performing himself. I can definitely hear the difference. We all have off days, and that's precisely why I offer the musician a second look. But hey I gotta keep them on their toes and not tell them what I'll review to make sure they deliver every concert just as good as their best one so you can enjoy them too!

I have to say I am really feeling his music and his sound. I really do like what he has to offer with his whole guitar and visual. He rezzed out a giant robot playing a huge drumset, and also a volcano at one point that was spewing lava. I do absolutely agree, why not make our Second Life concert experience something that's truly immersive. Though it is about the music, but it can also have everythign else that goes along with it. Thumper has a good bit of both.

Of course there are the purist out there who thinks all that razzle dazzle is just not right, and it takes away from the music. Lucky for Thumper I'm no purist cause if I am, I wouldn't be in Second Life. So kudos to Thumper for trying something different and giving us a visual experience too.

Thumper's visuals today really does create a fun atmosphere to enjoy a concert in so if you are planning to throw a cool looking party with some funky music that's well produced (since Thumper mixes all sorts of sounds into his music) and impress your friends a little with that, I think you may be able to consider Thumper. He does have some wonderful sounds and excellent music. His sets are very well produced and has great production value. But if perfect singing is what you are looking for, Thumper then isn't right for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment