Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Live Music Review: Grateful Stryker @ Jerry Garcia Amphitheatre

Second Life Live Music Review
Written by Enniv Zarf (RL: Paul Kwo)
Metaverse Music
Grateful Stryker
Jerry Garcia Amphitheatre
3.5 stars out of 5 stars

Ok, here's a posting I saw today so I thought to check it out:

"Hiya Everyone!!! Grateful is on FIRE!!! Here in San Fran, come on over and join the party, while we listen to this awesome musician and his AMAZING way of mixing originality and passion into everything he plays!!!"

Well it's nice to hear some original music in Second Life. It's always a welcomed thing. It's much needed really. And Grateful does have a unique voice that kind of has this mix of a heavy metal band like quality like KISS, but mixed in with a little bit of Elvis. I'm talking more about the quality of his voice, not so much the style of his singing.

Now I wouldn't considering him an amazing singer, but he is a good musician. But he does sound passionate about what he is singing and what he has to offer and that's definitely a welcomed bonus. So the post is correct in that regard.

What I did like about Grateful was some of his instrumental solo work...

...But I wouldn't think of him as the best musician around as I have heard others who are definitely much more interesting with an original sound here in Second Life. He does play well, and he sings decently. His tunes are good too. But that doesn't say to me an amazing musician with an awesome mix of originality and passion. But if you like him enough, you may call him that. So here in the case of Grateful, I can understand why some people would call him that.

My one biggest problem really is that I don't really think his voice type fits what he's singing and wrote. I think his voice is much more suited for hard rock, heavy metal type music. But his songs are almost too sweet and nice. It had a certain type of 80's band feel to his singing and it just didn't mesh in my mind. But I can reckon that this is more of my subjective choice in taste. Perhaps it is this sound that some people may be referring to as original and amazing. But for me, I rather hear him sing more of a screaming type of songs and let someone else sing the songs he's written.

It was a half hour set and it's a different kind of a half hour, it's pretty different. It's neat to listen to. He is a good as a musician. He plays well, sings decently and has good tunes. Does that make an amazing musician? Probably not in my books. Just a good one who has needs to polish his voice just a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment