Thursday, December 4, 2008

Music Review: Onehempcat Oldrich @ Puss ~N~ Boots

Second Life Live Music Review
Written by Enniv Zarf (RL: Paul Kwo)
Metaverse Music
Onehempcat Oldrich
Puss ~N~ Boots

Continuing my new artist type day of reviewing music I stumbled on Onehempcat Oldrich's guitar music concert. Onehempcat real name is Mike Majesty and has been playing in real life for over twenty years. Sounds promising here at least.

The best part of hearing Onehempcat is he just plays the guitar, electric guitar, and doesn't pretend to be a singer just to draw more people. And he's fantastic with his sound too and great at what he does.

Unlike the other solo guitarist I've reviewed here who plays more acoustic world or latin music, Onehempcat plays rock style instrumental music which I think is definitely a treat. I think I've had about enough of singers, way too many. I say trust your music, let it speak. If it's good, the good people will know and will come to you.

All of Onehempcat's music are...

...originals which really isn't that common in Second Life. Most musicians tend to do both covers and originals so it's very admirable to hear someone who trust his music enough to only do his and do them fantastically. It can be scary sometimes especially when they are all instrumental that you wonder if people are going to be interested in hearing them and stick around.

According to his profile, his backing tracks were all done by a good friend of his back in New Jersey where he lives. I hope this doesn't bar all the New Yorkers from going to his concert. But at the very least you wouldn't have to actually to be in New Jersey. Well for me I am an Angelino (Los Angeles), so New York, New Jersey are both good to me.

Onehempcat's music has a great rhythmic flare that really grooves along. His guitar speaks very well over the solidly laid backing tracks. The music are all very well put together and he really got his stuff together. The balance between everything and the sound choices of the backing tracks were all very effective.

When he does a pure solo on his trusty electric guitar, he is just a delight to listen to. His harmonies are refreshing, and he is just so laid back strumming along. Nothing is labored, everything is enjoyed just the way music should be.

The venue Puss ~N~ Boots is an interesting place for music. It's fascinating to actually see the different types of venues people come up with. The place has metal structure with stain glass windows by the ocean. Looking at an environment really does change the way you hear someone's playing. I would imagine if Onehempcat played at a smaller enclosed space the exact same works would have a totally different feel here. It's relaxed and loose and open here and it's like I was taking a walk down Venice Beach and stumbled on a pretty cool musician playing at a small amphitheater. There's a few people sitting at the nearby cafe tables listening and a few passerby taking a few minutes of their busy life to enjoy a tad bit of good instrumentals on a Thursday afternoon.

Onehempcat is a wonderful instrumental alternative especially for those of you who are totally uninterested in acoustic instruments playing classical or classicalesque (like me - I'm shunned by the elite classical community and unwanted by the rock music world) music. His electric guitar instrumentals are a great way to spend a relaxing afternoon where you just wanna lay back and unwind. And best of all you will never have to worry for him playing out of tune, cause it's pretty darn hard to do that on the guitar. Well Onehempcat is just good all the way around and I would definitely recommend him to everyone here.

No comments:

Post a Comment