
Second Life Live Music Review
Written by Enniv Zarf
Metaverse Music
Lonnie Nightfire
The Hummingbird Cafe SLURL
Jar's Pub
I promised myself to stop reviewing today since I already did four reviews and I am a bit burned out today. But I checked my email box and found Zarlight IMing about Lonnie's next concert. I really wasn't going to go now, but I decided what the heck, let's just do this now, even though there's only a little less then 20 mins left on the clock. But for those of you in the future who wants me to review someone, you have got to send me the notecard with showings at least a few days before the concert. I am not always around and these last minute "hey come and check it out" will mostly go ignored, especially if I'm going to get a lot of them. But Zarlight has been persistent so I guess it worked on me this time.
Well I went, and I was just going this better be good or I will ripe him apart for sending me so many last minute notices about the concert. What do you know, it's good! lonnie Nightfire has a wonderfully sweet voice and a very beautiful guitar tone in his playing. The balance is delicate and very pleasant on the ears and the heart.
This won't be a full review since I only got to hear 3 songs at the end of his set, but still enough for me to know. After all you really can tell whether or not an artist is any good within the first minute or two, sometimes even less. Think American Idol. They are not just making it dramatic when they are listening to people and kicking them out after just a few notes. It's pretty obvious cause if an artist is any good, they are good all the way. There are the occasional fluke, but in general, it's pretty clear.
Lonnie is great, and I love his voice and I definitely would love to hear more of him. His music, original stuff, are very friendly and inviting. His voice is really like a friend sitting there singing to you, soothing you and just healing whatever it is that you need. It's not often that you can find a voice that's that friendly and inviting when a good chunk of rock and pop is this moping whiney I hate life and everything that's happening mentality. So when you find someone that's just sweet and real, it's definitely worth the attention.
Well I found out he has another show tonight at 6pmSLT. So I will try to catch that one instead, at least a small part of it. Now my eyes are rolling and thinking why did he not just send me his website with the whole schedule instead of last minute IM's that I am not going to get if I'm not inworld. I'll pick up this review in a little bit...not that it's any difference to all you readers!
Since I am doing this review in two places I'd thought I'd put up a second pic of him.So I got to Jar's Pub at 6pmSLT today and the turn out was much smaller then the turn out at The Hummingbird Cafe. It's actually interesting to see how artists who do multiple shows a day and what kind of an audience can they draw throughout.
Lonnie though deserves a crowd bigger then the feeble number 13 there so far. It's a bit disheartening to know that there are so many people logged on SL right now, but only so few are attending these concerts. I hope this site will really help shed some lights on the live music scene.
A lot of people call themselves singer/songwriter/guitarist. Most are just 2 or the three. Most are songwriters and guitarists, very few are actually any good with singing. Some can sing but their songs aren't that great. Well Lonnie has the three pretty much up to par with one another. He has a great voice, and he sings everything very well. His songs are pretty and he does use some interesting harmonies in some of his songs that just gives them a memorable quality. They do take the rock music and gives it a little folksy feel to it.
In one of his song, though I can't remember the title, it's hard to catch them sometimes, he made use of this lydian sound that just gave it a wonderful openness that uplifted the music as if it broke out of a shell if only for a moment to just transpire into a ray of sunshine. It's nice to finally hear a song writer here in Second Life that will try some other modes then the same old stuff over and over.
I do definitely recommend Lonnie Nightfire and his music. It is just soothing and just wonderful to listen to. It's definitely something to enjoy if you are feeling depressed or lonely or just plain down, give him a shot. He really does have a quality of being your friend, the understanding friend who hears you and tries to cheer you up with a simple song and a simple voice. Bravo!
No comments:
Post a Comment